Consider this: have you ever washed your vehicle or house keys? (I haven't... gross!) You handle them all the time, and they're almost certainly coated in germs. Clean your keys with a disinfectant wipe every now and then. They'll last longer that way!
Keys are made up of two parts: the shank and the blade. The shank is the part that goes into the lock; it can be made of steel or plastic. The blade part is what you turn to open the door. It's usually made of steel or titanium.
When you wash your keys, you're washing both parts. This is important because even though they look clean, the interior surface of the key will probably still be covered in bacteria from when you last used it. That's why it's important to disinfect your keys before putting them in your pocket or handing them out to others.
Disinfecting your keys is easy. Just use a standard household cleaner or spray them down with an antibacterial spray. Let them air-dry before using your keys again.
It's important to wash your keys regularly. If they aren't cleaned properly, they may spread bacteria inside your home or office. This can lead to serious health issues for people who are immunocompromised or elderly.
If you need to disinfect your keys, make sure you first clean them. (Disinfectants can only be effective on a clean surface.) Then, using the instructions on the package, use a disinfectant wipe or spray on all of the surfaces of your keys and keychain. Let them sit for at least 20 minutes after cleaning.
After cleaning your keys, it's important to dry them thoroughly. This will prevent future mold growth if they get wet. The best way to do this is with a clean, dry cloth. You can also put them in a bowl of rice for three days at room temperature out of direct sunlight.
As long as you follow these steps, you should be able to keep mold away from your keys. If you find that they are still growing mold even after following these instructions, then a cleaner or new set of keys is needed.
Wipe the tops of the keys carefully with a well-wrung disinfecting wipe (avoid wipes with bleach). You may also dab a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol over the tops of the keys and the borders of the keyboard, being careful not to get liquid beneath the keys. Let sit for 10 minutes, then air out in the sun for several hours before reusing the keys.
Disinfect your computer's keypad too. These are easy to wipe down but be sure to clean under the buttons too. You can buy special keypad wipes or use a soft cloth with some disinfectant on it. Make sure to wash your cloths regularly so they don't become bacteria havens.
If you have non-keyboard touch-sensitive areas of your computer, such as your mouse pad or desktop background, you should disinfect these items as well. The same steps apply except that you will want to use a slightly damp cloth or paper towel instead of a dry one. Allow to air dry completely before using your mouse pad or desktop background again.
Fill the bowl halfway with warm water and a couple of drops of dish soap. Swish your keys about in this bath, and if you have an extra toothbrush or tiny scrubber, bring it in to thoroughly loosen the gunk. After that, dry your keys and clean them with isopropyl alcohol and/or disinfectant wipes. Don't use nail polish remover because it's toxic.
If there are stains on your key from something like mustard or ketchup, soak them in a bowl full of soapy water for 30 minutes before cleaning them with a cloth or toothbrush.
You should wash your keys at least as often as you wash your hands. If they aren't getting wet, they aren't getting clean.
Even though they're not going to be used as eating utensils, keys do collect bacteria that other parts of your body don't. So if you don't wash your keys, other parts of your body will be exposed to all of that dirt and bacteria. This could lead to illness if you're very susceptible to certain conditions such as asthma or diabetes.
Washing your keys doesn't need to be complicated. A hot shower works best because that way you can also get them all wet at once instead of one at a time. Use a mild soap, not shampoo, and only wash the outermost surface of the key. Don't wash the inside of the keyhole or any other internal part of the key!
When material is firmly embedded beneath or between keyboard keys, compressed air is the best technique to clean them. A compressed air can produces a continuous stream of high-powered dry air that may drive out the particles without damaging the keyboard. However, if debris is deeply buried, it may take several attempts to remove it all.
You should use caution not to force dirt or dust into hard-to-reach places. In addition, be sure to wear protective clothing when using compressed air.
If you only have access to air from your vacuum cleaner, you can still use it to clean your keyboard. Turn off the power to the unit and insert the thick end of a broom handle into any opening. Run the vacuum over the broom head to draw out the dirt. Then use a vacuum brush to further filter out small particles.
Finally, wash your hands after cleaning your keyboard to prevent spreading bacteria around your home.
Sticky fingers transmit sauces and food bits onto and between the keys in the latter situation. Our fingers also smear skin oils into the keys, and as various studies have demonstrated over the years, keyboards may become a breeding ground for bacteria. Some of these organisms can be harmful if you come into contact with them, so it's important to clean your keyboard.
The best way to avoid transmitting bacteria is by not touching your face or head while at the computer. This includes using a hand-held device such as a phone or pen.
If you must touch your face, then wash your hands before eating anything, especially if you are not cooking the meal yourself. Wait until after washing your hands to eat. If you are still hungry, then have a healthy snack instead.
After dinner, wash your hands again. You will be surprised by how much dirt you can scrape off your body with just two showers a day!
Finally, keep your home environment clean. Use disinfectants regularly to kill any bacteria that may have grown due to increased humidity caused by house pets or plants.
These steps should help you avoid spreading illness around your home. If you are sick, then stay home from work or school until you are better.